Friday, April 10, 2009

THE DEVIL'S WEB - MARY BALOGH


REKINDLED DESIRE

The last time Madeline Raine had seen James Purnell, she had been but a chit of a girl, and at his mercy. Purnell had held her helpless in his arms - but protectively above the abyss of her own dangerous hunger for him.

He had left her then, not taking her innocence but taking her heart, as he vanished from England. Since then Madeline had reigned as society's most dazzling and heartless beauty, making all men pay for one man's rebuff of her.

Now James was back, more handsome and arrogant than ever. And Madeline steeled herself not to fall under his spell again. But she soon discovered that the melting power of passion ignited by love would not easily die…


What I did not like: people who know me, also know that I love Mary Balogh, she is one of my favorite authors, most of her books are at least readable, but most of the time very enjoyable. There was one book that I truly hated (“tempting Harriet”, and no, you won't catch me writing a review on that) and I never thought I will find another one to equal it, and even surpass it! But there it is! The devil's web!
For those who don't know, this is the last book in a series of three, and we have had glimpses of Madeline and James's love affair all through the series. It's one of those love and hate relationships, that honestly, need a lot of skill to be believable.

I've seen through the series that James has all the ingredients that make a tortured hero, so of course my interest is piqued. Why do we love tortured heroes?! Most of the time they only whine about their sufferings and make everyone near them feel unhappy?! And when we finally find out the reason for their “torture” it proves to be something that could be solved very easily by a few words of the heroine! But there you have it, the torturing syndrome got me again! And here we have a very fine example of it! James is absolutely impossible! I kept reading because I could not believe it, because a jerk like that was never found by me as a hero in a Balogh book. So I could not stop and just abandon the book, I had to keep trying, and maybe, there will be some explanation, some excuse, SOMETHING to atone for all the bad behavior of the hero toward the heroine. Because his excuse was rubbish for me - he did not feel himself capable of showing love (HA! Love! What about some decency at least and common courtesy. What about just treating your wife like she is a human being!) to the heroine because in his youth he knows himself to have impregnated the girl he loved and was not allowed to wed her himself – so he feels guilty.
Shortly, the hero and heroine are very attracted to each other, but they never seem to at least be friendly. Despite this, they decide to get married – and basically the reason is love – even if not acknowledged aloud in front of the beloved. And now begins the nightmare!
I honestly don't have anything against the heroine, it's obvious that she really tries to make her marriage work. She is not the boring type of heroine, she is active, full of life and very nice and patient with the hero, tries to understand him, tries to avoid discussions, but sometimes, out of nowhere, without any apparent reason, he strikes again. This is what I disliked the most – there were no reasons for what he does to her. They seem to have a good scene, and from nothing he gets prickly like a hedgehog and tells her something hurtful. Just like that! And that was a surprise honestly, because usually marriages in Balogh world, even those of convenience, are very polite, they sort of have some rules, and the hero treats the heroine with respect. Always! So it was very difficult for me to adjust to this new type of hero, who was also very unpleasant. And on top of everything else, he is also very possessive, distrustful and gives orders without explanations!
In the end the hero finds out that the reason for his “torture” was not a valid one (of course) and he finally talks with the heroine and after one last hurtful thing to say (like: oh, are you pregnant?! And is it mine?!), although, apparently, he had come to make peace with her. But they do acknowledge their love for each other in the very last pages of the book and decide to make their marriage work. Like anyone in his right mind would believe their marriage will ever work!

What I liked: there are some little things that I liked to read, or better, that ringed true. First, the first sex scene between the hero and heroine – it is one of the few where the heroine actually finds it a not so pleasant experience. Not that I'm glad for the poor heroine, but really I'm sick of reading about orgasms on the first time, especially when it takes place outdoors, on the hard ground!
Another thing I liked was to see that the hero does not escape his heritage. With a very cold and morose father he did not turn out to be a carefree, outgoing person. That's another thing that does not ring true to me in many romances – characters that come from very troubled parents, with very troubled childhoods, always overcome anything and get to be these beautiful persons with no flaws at all. Like they are not human!
I might have disliked immensely how the hero treats the heroine, but the truth is that it kept me on my toes. I read the book all anxious to find out how everything turns out to be. And that is something I have to admit :) grudgingly...

Grade: 2/5

6 comments:

Alex April 10, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

Ouch! This really seems the kind of hero I normally love to hate... I'll need to read this trilogy and soon. Ioana, I loved your review! No matter how much you disliked a book, you always manage to explain why you didn't like it with great sense of humor. Well done!:) Oh and I'm also one of those you didn't like Tempting Harriet either. Worst, only her first book - First Comes Marriage - in her new series...

Marg April 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

Oh dear. I just read the first book in this trilogy and liked that it was very much character based, but there was just something not quite right. One of the things that bothered me was how easily Madeline fell in love with everyone, and then suddenly she was in love with James, even though he was already being mean to her.

Seccionista April 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Oh dear indeed! I do love reading about troubled marriages but this one doesn't sound very good... of course since they are in the TBR pile I may have to read them eventually and see how it goes.

Ioana April 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

Alex, there is no way I can deny the pull of this type of book. I knew what to expect (sort of) but I could not help myself :) The trilogy is worth reading, you don't get bored (or at least not with the first and the third book :)). Lol, I have not read FCM, and my rank of worst books is: 1. The devil's web (for the obvious reasons) 2. Tempting Harriet (for the most spineless hero ever) 3. the obedient bride (For one of the most annoying self-righteous heroines I've met)

Ioana April 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

Marg, the first book is also my favorite from the series :) I can't really judge the second because it was a DNF for me... it simply could not keep my interest alive :) And uff... James never ceases to be mean with the heroine. The only explanation I could find was obsession - on both parts. Nowhere in the trilogy we can see WHY they love eachother...

Ioana April 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

Ana, of course you have to read them :) and wouldn't it be funny if you liked them?! :D That's a risk you have to take!

Followers

Counter

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP